Sunday, June 25, 2006

Shoppers 'want long Sunday hours'


Which camp do you fall into?

My Sunday My Choice
or
Keep Sunday Special?

This from BBC News Online.

More than half of consumers want shops to open for longer on Sundays, research suggests.

The findings come from a YouGov poll carried out for the My Sunday My Choice campaign, which wants the Sunday trading laws to be deregulated.

The government is currently reviewing the restrictions on trading, which let shops open for six hours on a Sunday.

A rival campaign called Keep Sunday Special says it wants to see the day return to a family day of rest."

In my view having choice is special.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:36:00 pm, Blogger Ferdie said...

It depends on what question is asked. If 'people' are asked if they want Sunday trading, the masses may well say 'yes'. However, if those same people were told they now have to work Sundays, for no extra pay, seldom if ever get a chance to go out Saturday night as one has to be in work 5.30am Sunday morning, how many would then say yes if asked? As usual, it's big business that wins, what about choice, there isn't any. As someone who works in the distribution industry, we already work all the hours under the sun and moon, I for one say no and I bet I'm not the only one, but when are the right people asked and given the right question? Incidentally out of the big 3, Tesco are against, Sainsbury are 'neutral' it's just ASDA that is pushing for it, but they are American, now that's a surprise!

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:07:00 am, Blogger Heavy Green Ink said...

I don't work weekends, but I'd like to see shops closed on a Sunday and recreational centers, (e.g. Parks, sports, cinemas pubs etc) open. This would help people spend time with their families.

I do realise that some people would have to work, but it would be better than everyone doing 24x7.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home